Patreon supporters will receive early access to this.
This is a conversation with Anne Kretzschmar. She’s a coordinator with the Stay Grounded network which works on a global level to reduce air traffic and build a climate-just transport system. They recently published a paper entitled ‘A Rapid and Just Transition of Aviation: Shifting towards climate-just mobility‘ which was a big part of our conversation.
- Social and environmental costs of airport projects
- The problem behind ‘carbon offsetting’
- Looking for just alternatives
- Tackling tax exemption for aviation
- How flying is already unjust
- The problem of frequent flyers
- Implementing actual limits (frequent flyer levee)
- Europe’s lack of international booking for trains
- Trains can also be a problem (example of Maya Train project in Mexico)
- Wider question of asking what kind of mobility do we need and wand and how can we distribute it in a just way
- Taking the topic of jobs and labor seriously
- Impact of COVID-19 on aviation and what might come next
- Change by Design or by Disaster
- Green New Deal for Gatwick
- How ‘bailouts’ rarely actually support those most impacted by industry losses
- Alternative tourisms
- The importance of internationality and the centrality of environmental justice
- Supporting critical aviator workers
- Airport-related Injustice and Resistance map
- Vision on Fire: Emma Goldman on the Spanish Revolution
- Re:Imagining Change: How to Use Story-based Strategy to Win Campaigns, Build Movements, and Change the World by Patrick Reinsborough and Doyle Canning
- A Message From the Future II: The Years of Repair by Naomi Klein video by Molly Crabapple, Opal Tometi, Avi Lewis
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!
Music by Tarabeat.