This is a conversation with Rim-Sarah Alouane. She’s a French legal academic, commentator, and PhD candidate in law researching religious freedom, human rights, and civil liberties in France, Europe & North America.
We spoke about a recent piece she wrote entitled ‘A Spectre in France’s Public Debate: Islamo-Leftism‘ for Reset Dialogues.
- What the fuck is ‘Islamo-leftism’
- How fringe conspiracy theories are being mainstreamed in France
- The role of anti-American sentiments in propagating these phenomena
- Understanding the specificity of French laicité/secularism
- The youth being more comfortable with multi-culturalism, which is provoking a conservative backlash
- The slippery slope of what’s being normalized (including security laws)
- The links between antisemitism and islamophobia, in terms of political rhetoric especially
- The legacy of colonial thinking
- The personal cost of rising authoritarianism in France
- Islam, Secularism, and Liberal Democracy: Toward a Democratic Theory for Muslim Societies by Nader Hashemi
- Illégitimes by Nesrine Slaoui
- Les Incasables by Rachid Zerrouki
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!
Music by Tarabeat.