This is a conversation with Guy Standing, a Professorial Research Associate at SOAS University of London and a founding member and honorary co-president of the Basic Income Earth Network (BIEN), a non-governmental organisation that promotes a basic income for all.
- What is Universal Basic Income (UBI)/ Basic Income
- Why it’s so important that basic income be unconditional
- Towards a new class system: Precariat, Salariat, Proficients, Oligarchs, Plutocracy, Working Class, Lumpen Underclass etc
- What is the precariatized mind?
- Types of Precariats: Atavists who look to the past/Nostalgics: The migrants, the roamers, the refugees, the minorities/Progressives
- Towards a new politics of time
- How the global COVID-19 pandemic makes the case for a basic income
- The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt
- The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time by Karl Polanyi
- The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All by Peter Linebaugh
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!
Music by Tarabeat.