To get early access to this episode, please consider becoming a Patreon supporter.
Out on Saturday July 17th 2021.
This is a conversation with Tareq Baconi, author of the book “Hamas Contained: The Rise and Pacification of Palestinian Resistance” published in 2018.
List of topics discussed:
- How Hamas is often talked about
- Contextualising Hamas in recent and ongoing uprisings
- Hamas and popular protests
- The Great Return March
- Hamas and Israel
- Western hypocrisy on Palestinian democracy, with a focus on the EU and the US
- Hamas-Fatah relations
- The horrific costs of the Israeli blockade of Gaza
- How the Israeli state views Hamas
- Hamas breaking out of its ‘cage’
- Does it matter who wins at the Israeli elections?
- The PA losing legitimacy
- Hamas’ authoritarianism in Gaza
- Hamas as a democratic movement
- Difference between party and government in Gaza
- Moving beyond the framework of partition and into colonial and apartheid frameworks
- Hamas and Civil Society in Gaza: Engaging the Islamist Social Sector by Sara Roy
- Hamas: A Beginner’s Guide by Khaled Hroub
- Decolonizing Palestine: Hamas between the Anticolonial and the Postcolonial by Somdeep Sen
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!
Music by Tarabeat.