This is a conversation with Bram Büscher around the topics discussed in his book ‘The Truth about Nature: Environmentalism, in the Era of Post-Truth Politics and Platform Capitalism‘
- Meaning of ‘post-truth’ and platform capitalism
- Environmentalism, political action and social media
- Mediating knowledge and politics through new media platforms
- “Doom and gloom” versus “being optimistic”
- Temporality on social media and the urge of the ‘now’
- New media platforms are not neutral platforms
- Alienation, politics and new media
- Can it be good?
- The role of new media in the conservation and environmental movements
- South Africa’s Kruger National Park, new media and racial politics
- The difference between understanding and knowledge, and how new media plays into that
- Platform Capitalism by Nick Srnicek
- Darwin’s Hunch by Christa Kuljian
Patreon is for monthly, PayPal is for one-offs and BuyMeACoffee has both options.
If you can’t donate anything, you can still support this project by sharing with your friends and leaving a review wherever you get your podcasts!
Music by Tarabeat.